Technolgy you trust.

Last night, on a after dinner conversation we start talking about Amazon's new device, The Kindle. People where enthusiastic about the new e-reader from Amazon. My impression was that if a book was important to me, I would never trust an electronic device as a mean of ownership. That night I was in charge of the music. My play list was streamed from my laptop via iTunes to Air Port express to my stereo. Someone in the party asked what was my opinion of Linux vs. Windows Vista. "What I don't show you?" I told him and rebooted my laptop which had dual-boot with WIndows and Fedora 8. He was excited because he has never seen a distribution of Linux. My laptop started booting and froze during the launch of sendmail, you know the damn thing was trying to connect to the wireless network and I forgot that I haven't configured linux to run on my home wireless network because, for the life of me, the network manager applet doesn't have a section to insert your WPA2 key. It doesn't even launch an applet to show you available networks. My guest laughed when I fumgled trying to reboot with the interactive boot option to prevent the network from attempting to load. After fumbling for 10 minutes finally we got to the Desktop GUI but then it froze again when yum-updated tried to search again for a network service. I show him some OpenOffice applications and he wasn't very impressed. My sales pitch for free stuff was not getting any traction. After a few sights I rebooted back to Windows and now Windows XP could not find my wireless network. People asked what happened to the music. I had to reboot the laptop twice and reset the Air Port Express Access Point for the thing to connect again. Meanwhile I just inserted a John Meyer CD to the good ol' CD player and that did the trick. Where was I? O yes! New technology you trust and the New Kindle e-reader vs. a book. I take the book.

Comments

Popular Posts